Thursday, January 7, 2010

Spotlight on: LINDA BOSTIC SMITH

Please tell us about your art.

I would describe my art as Applachian/ Western, which is alittle wild but I am a true Applachian art person, dyed in the wool mountain woman however, by the freaky events in June 1989, I was thrown into a whole different world. When Lois Hinkle, principal of Elliston-Lafayette Elementary School, invited Robert Duvall to the school to pick up his portrait. As a volunteer, I had been working with the 5th graders on art and a likeness of him as "Gus" in the mini-series of "Lonesome Dove". So he rode down from his home in northern Va. and spent the entire day with the kids and received his portrait. I had made prints and with this 15 min. of fame through my web-site that my son had made, www.lindasartstudio.com , I was mailing prints all over the U.S.


What inspires you as an artist?

Many things inspire me as an artist. Just the simple request of an idea for an event. I was emotionally inspired by the events of the tragic day of April 16. I am inspired by the upcoming happy event of a B'day party. I am happy that other people are happy and sad when other people are sad, even if I don't know that person or persons very well.


Why are the arts important to a community?

I think it is part of the spirit of the community when art is present. It encourages the budding artist and validates the accomplished artist.



What role does the EastMont Arts Association play in your life?

I feel like it is the most exciting thing that has happened to me in years. Like it is an opportunitiy to explore my art in a new and adventurous land or time. I don't feel isolated now after meeting all the people from the EastMont Arts Association. I have found these lovely people understand where I am coming from and yet they have been there all along. I was hit hard by the downturn in the economy so all the time spent with the folks at the Meadowbrook is awakening.


Please recommend something to us: a good book, music, a recipe, another artist...

I have a glutten allergy so one of the exciting recipes that I have discovered is Creamy Pavlova named and created for the ballerina Anna Pavlova. It is heavenly!



No comments:

Post a Comment